This policy can be downloaded as a Word document here.
BHHJS follows the guidance and direction given by Wirral LA with regard to the use of mobile phones by pupils in schools.
- In the first instance, BHHJS discourages pupils from bringing mobile phones to school.
- Parents will be advised that Black Horse Hill Junior School accepts no liability for the loss or damage to mobile phones which are brought into the school or school grounds.
- However, parents who wish their child to have a mobile phone in school, must write to the Headteacher to request permission to do this and explain their reasons for the request.
- If pupils bring mobile phones to school, the phones must remain switched off while pupils are in class, the school building and the school grounds.
- Upon arrival at 9am the phone is to handed to the class teacher who will store the phones until 3.15pm when children leave the premises.
- Should parents need to contact pupils, or vice versa, this should be done following the usual school procedures: via the school office.
- Where a pupil is found by a member of staff to be using a mobile phone, the phone will be taken from the pupil, handed to the class teacher or SMT who will record the name of child and inform their parents.
- The mobile phone will be stored in the school office until the end of the school day. The pupil may collect the phone at the end of the school day.
- If a pupil is found taking photographs or video footage with a mobile phone of either other pupils or teachers, this will be regarded as a serious offence and the Head Teacher should decide on appropriate disciplinary action.
- If images of other pupils or teachers have been taken, the phone will not be returned to the pupil until the images have been removed by the pupil in the presence of a member of the SMT.
- Parents will be informed about this policy e.g via the school website and reference to the use of mobile phones will be included in the school brochure/prospectus.
- This policy will be reviewed by the Headteacher on an annual basis.